Technic Lego Porsche 911 RSR

OK, something a little different but sort of motorsport relevant. Yes, I purchased a Lego Porsche, at 40 years old I am still building Lego thanks in part to my children reaching that age and becoming re acquainted with the Danish brick and, partly because in the last few years some truly awesome motorsports themed sets have become available featuring F1, Le Mans and GT machinery.

The Porsche on the other hand is a different beast all together. Weighing in at over 2700 pieces and with over 800 steps in an instruction book that also depicts Lego and Porsche's involvement with the project this 1/8th scale offering is as big in size as it is in fun to build. It took me a week of evenings to put the set together and now, it sits atop my bookcase next to another of my larger technic creations!

Anyway, back to the Porsche, yes at £200 it is an expensive luxury for something you will probably only build once, especially as there appears to be no alternative model to build from the kit, but the enjoyment, the attention to detail and the sheer sense of achievement when you complete it is worth it in my opinion. 

Lego have worked very closely with Porsche to make the 911 RSR as realistic as possible right down to the flat 6 engine in the rear, a 4 speed (due in part to space constraints) sequential, yes, sequential Lego gearbox complete with reverse gears, red dampers and (dummy) yellow brake calipers. Lego even created a set of wheels that mimics those of the real 911 RSR especially for the set.

4 separate boxes plus wheels and tyres make up the set and, as said before over 800 stages from start to finish allow you to complete the model and, even as a 40 year old man I still find myself picking it up every so often and fiddling, running up and down the gears, opening and closing the doors, steering the wheels, watching (from underneath) the engine working, why? I don't know. I must say I am very impressed with the level of detail. I have plans for it in my head, firstly changing the orange bodywork to a specific motorsport livery once I can source the pieces while, some of the building steps have got me thinking about tackling my own "from scratch" project, combined with the Lego 24 Hr race car I'm confident a pretty good Mazda 787B could be constructed....

Watch this space.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Races #3:The Race of Giants, Macau 1978.

Unfortunately, Motor racing is also this.

The Most Iconic Liveries in Motor Sports